Monday 25 March 2013

# 47 (2013) The Job You Love

Confucius says 'Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life'.

Since last July I have been doing just that. And whilst it hasn't been paying very well, at least the work has been exactly what I've always wanted to do - when it's been there.

Before that I spent three years at University re-training so I could set up my business and concentrate on what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. And I loved that. But even though I tried to treat it like a 9 - 5 job there is no doubt that the education system has turned me into a very lazy person. Because it seems I would rather be struggling in my current situation than working full time and not worrying about how to pay the bills.

Before I went back to education I had what I call my first career as a professional PA. I did that for 17 years in London, Buckinghamshire and Lincolnshire and I worked long hours for lots of money. Choosing to go to Uni was no easy decision and there are aspects of my change of direction which I don't enjoy and sometimes regret.

But a few weeks ago, amidst the realisation that if I didn't sort out my finances I was going to be sleeping in my car instead of moving house at the end of April, I re-registered with one of my temp agencies. And this morning I got a call. I start work tomorrow.

I am admitting defeat, taking a temporary U-turn and going back to what I know will pay the bills. But whilst I will be extremely grateful for the money I won't be glad to be going back to office hours. I am not ecstatic.

Like I said, University made me quite lazy.

This isn't regular work. I am only temping because I don't want to lose sight of what it is I am supposed to be doing, but for the next 6 weeks I am going to be punching data into a computer. Of course now that I am back on the temp wagon I may well find myself sucked back into the system. It's something I have to be mindful of. But all the time my business isn't living up to expectations, it'll have to take a backseat.

Hopefully, it won't be for long.

(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment