Saturday 23 March 2013

# 45 (2013) Blogging Balance

Although I called this site 'Blog A Day', I rarely do. It's not a competition and I don't beat myself up about it. You can't force creative writing. You have to be inspired. Writing a mundane one liner just for the sake of writing something every day really doesn't fill the criteria.

I read a blog about balance by Amy Lynn Andrews. She thinks she spends too much time blogging rather than focusing on real life. I guess it depends on why you blog and what else is going on in your life. I do it to purge the things in my head that have no other outlet and to reach a wider audience than the few people who are close to me and may not want to hear me rant all the time.
(source)
This writer of course, has other things in her life besides blogging. She has a family, kids, a life. Writing blogs, updating, researching and 'tweaking' are the things I look forward to at the end of the day. This is how I wind down. For me it's like having a chat with friends over a glass of wine in the pub. I found her 20 questions quite disturbing. If I was asking myself questions like that I would be very concerned about my computer use. The fact of the matter is that I do use the computer a lot but I'm not worried about it and I don't ask myself questions about it. I only answered yes to one of hers in any case.

I took a survey about blog addiction on another site I found whilst looking for images for this posting. I only scored 54% which I think was fair. It even asked me if I would be blogging about my blog addiction after the quiz ended and I said yes. But to be fair, I had almost finished this posting when I found the quiz.

To me the computer is a business tool. A necessary one, not just for blogging and surfing for pictures to insert into said blogs. If I am busy (and I am very thankful when I am) I am more than happy to walk away from the computer. I may occasionally make mental notes of things to write about if I'm out and about during the day, but that's only when I think they are worth writing about and often they are subjects I think people will be really interested in.

If I was skipping important tasks or swapping a social life for the internet then I would be concerned. But in times of austerity the internet is a great social life alternative. I'm already paying for it. I'll use it any which way I want.

I'd certainly never swap sex for the internet though. I mean, really? Who would.....?

(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment