Friday 11 January 2013

# 6 (2013) 176 status updates a month

Social media is my thing. There's no denying it. If you're subscribed to one of my social pages you'll know it already. And you probably hate me. I have social pages, blog pages and business pages on most of the well known sites.

Zeebly.com has an app that examines your Facebook usage and turns you into a bunch of statistics.

Now, I KNEW I had a Facebook problem. I don't deny it. And I'm not ashamed of it. It's how I keep in touch and keep up with what's going on in the world. Essentially it's all free. It's also how I share what I discover with the rest of the world (within reason) and get opinions on subjects that interest me for such things as this blog.

But perhaps my usage was a little bit of a shock. Some things are no surprise at all such as the subjects I talk about most and my grasp of the English language. But when the average Facebooker lodges 12.8 status updates a month and I'm averaging 176 - yes I suppose that could be classed as 'concerning'. That's about 5 every day. I wouldn't be surprised if lots of people have unsubscribed from my Facebook newsfeed. I don't blame you at all.

I have friends who either don't use Facebook or have it but check in about 4 times a year. I believe there are three reasons for this. One, they have actual friends who they meet and don't need to keep tabs on via the power of the internet. Two they aren't nosey enough to need to keep tabs on their friends. Three, they lead busy interesting lives that don't require social media.

There is a good sized chunk of my time that is spent doing business related things - research, buying, advertising, marketing, arranging work. But there is an even bigger chunk that just likes to be nosey, comment on the news, share sometimes pointless stuff with people I don't really know and write ridiculous status updates that really don't enrich anyone's lives. It's why I was quick to separate personal from business and keep business contacts on my business page.

I don't have internet at work. This is a good thing. It means I'll do work instead and I only check in if I really have to (i.e. for business reasons) but my evenings can be completely lost in social media. 

Am I going to stop? No. Because I like it. Because it's fun and because I don't think it's doing me any harm. I am capable of stopping. No, really. I am!


No comments:

Post a Comment