Tuesday 16 October 2012

#115 Wuss

I am a terrible wuss. I'm not afraid to admit it, but it does jar with me when I say it. When they were handing out thrill seeker genes, I definitely missed out on that one.

I think it's partly because I like to be in control (I don't even like being drunk) and partly because I have a strong sense of self-preservation. I am not a risk taker. I'm too grounded and aware that one wrong move can spell catastrophe. I guess I like being alive.

Yes, I have made rash decisions and taken risks in a more mundane sense - people, jobs, moving. And to be honest they haven't always worked out. Sometimes they were BAD mistakes. I guess that's the risk you take.

This year however, I have taken one of my biggest risks, going it alone, setting up my own business. I'm pretty proud of that one. But it comes with a back up plan - a safety net. Because if it didn't that would just be stupid.

In a more physical sense, the last time I went on a rollercoaster (a kids one I hasten to add) I ended up with what I can only presume was whiplash. I was in agony for several days afterwards with neck and shoulder pain. If I went on a proper rollercoaster, this is what would happen:


And yes, I'd be the one on the right. That woman on the left is just being cruel. Alternatively I'd probably end up like this girl. Yeah, she looks like she's enjoying it, but wait for it.....

As for skydiver Felix Baumgartner, well I have nothing but admiration. I'd have passed out from heart failure the moment I stepped out into the unknown. 

I get what it's about, I understand the buzz that people get from it. But it's not me. I've never been like that. I was the kid that used to pass out in biology lessons. I even fainted once when I was told off by a teacher for being late for a music lesson. Yes I was a wuss.

To say I have improved with age is an understatement. I can watch the goriest of movies these days and a lot of things that used to scare the crap out of me don't really bother me any more. I love scary movies, especially the psychological variety. But jumping off bridges attached to a piece of elastic? Nah, you can keep it.

Why???? (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment