Tuesday 14 February 2012

# 45 Valentine's Day

Like Easter, Valentine's Day is yet another event designed to get you to part with cash for no good reason. Yes I have my cynical bitch head on today but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one.

It's got nothing to do with the tiny matter of it being my first Valentine's Day single in 12 years. The fact that when you're in a relationship Valentine's Day happens by default because you feel obliged to acknowledge it even if you don't need to is just stupid. Why do you need a special day to tell someone you love them / fancy them / want to climb under a luxury kingsize duvet with them? Does everyone save it up for that one day of the year? If so, then we're wasting a lot of 'what if' time.

I don't think of myself as romantic. I'm not one of those slushy types and I don't worry about red roses or expensive dinners out. No really, I don't. Buy me technology and that's a whole different matter - but not red roses. They'll be droopy and depressing looking in just a few days.

And so that day that so many singles dread is upon us once again. But don't feel compelled to spend silly amounts of cash on cards, flowers, chocolates or dinner in some overpriced food joint. I'd be happy with one of these ecard things instead from somecards. It's cheaper than the post and far more entertaining, so pop it on the Facebook wall or Twitter feed of your intended and see if they accept. Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment